Tuesday, March 15, 2011

An Amish weekend...now I want shoofly pie

This weekend I read two books whose main premise dealt with the Amish.  I thought they were both good reads and there were points where I maybe even considered that I might like to live like the Amish...but then I reminded myself that I like electricity and cars and air conditioning so I will just appreciate the lifestyle through books!


Title: 
  Author:  Beth Wiseman
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
Pub. Date :  3/29/2011

Beth Wiseman's story of Miriam and Saul is a sweet escape into the Amish culture of Lancaster, PA.  The story itself was good and I enjoyed reading the entire book.  The story revolves around young people who are struggling with the decision to leave the community to live in the Englisch world.  I can definitely see further books written on characters you meet in this story.  The way the author incorporates the different traditions and ways of the Amish is both informative and enjoyable at the same time.  I really appreciated the way the characters' conflicts were dealt with and how they managed to honor the traditions of their family while dealing with real life modern day choices. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Christian fiction, or is interested in Amish culture.



Author:  Kelly Long
Publisher:  Thomas Nelson
Pub Date:  3/29/2011


I thoroughly enjoyed reading Lilly's Wedding Quilt by Kelly Long.  The character were very engaging and real, and the author did a good job incorporating the Amish traditions and culture into her story.  I thought the interaction between the main characters was very true to what I would imagine it would be like to be in their situations and be of the Amish community.  I really liked that the conflict in the book was not an easy fix, the characters showed some depth and real humanity in coping with their problems and their feelings for each other and their community.

This is one I would recommend for Christian fiction fans and those who are curious about Amish life and traditions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment